Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Persecution for His Name's Sake.

"Beloved, do not be surprised that a trial by fire is occurring among you, as if something strange were happening to you. But rejoice to the extent that your share in the sufferings of Christ, so that when his glory is revealed you may also rejoice exultantly. If you are insulted for the name of Christ, blessed are you, for the Spirit of Glory and of God rests upon you. But let no one among you be made to suffer as a murderer, a thief, an evildoer, or as an intriguer. But whoever is made to suffer as a Christian should not be ashamed but glorify God because of the name. For it is time for the judgment to begin with the household of God; if it begins with us, how will it end for those who fail to obey the gospel of Christ? 'And if the righteous one is barely saved, where will the godless and the sinner appear?' As a result, those who suffer in accord with God's will hand their souls over to a faithful creator as they do good."
(1 Peter 4:12-19)


Enough said, almost.


It never fails to amuse and sadden me at the same time, that even though I try to live my faith, and love those around me with the love of Christ, doing my best not to judge others or their choices in their journey towards God. (as soon as I am blameless, I will feel free to judge others, but until that time, I have not the right) my faith is the butt of anger and jokes.


But it hurts, really hurts, when people feel free to slam my faith as if it was absolutely necessary to hurt me. If they used the same words to describe my faith if I was Islamic, or Jewish, they would not do this, I know. I could be Baha'i, Wiccan, a devotee of any ancient pagan faith, and they would be nothing but charitable. 


Nevertheless, I take hope in Peter's words. 


The fact that I went on a "pilgrimage" and not a trip is a horrible thing, I guess.


Again, it's just part of the journey. I shall dance in the blessings of all persecution. As Jesus reminds me, Blessed are those who are persecuted for My name's sake.


Blessings to you as well, on this rainy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment